Oriental Rugs: Five Steps To Remove Urine Stains
Urine stains from pets are the most common stains in oriental rugs…and really any rugs or carpet.
Urine stains present a more complex problem than most stains because urine changes the chemical composition of the dyes in the rug. This can cause the colors to change from their original shades.
The best way to avoid permanent damage to your area rug from pet urine is to act quickly by following these steps.
- Blot the urine stain with a paper towel or white cotton towel until you have soaked up as much of the urine as possible. A white cloth will avoid dye bleeding that could occur with a colored cloth.
- Dilute the urine by pouring water over the stain and start blotting the area again until the liquid appears clear.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar with 1 cup of water and apply to the stain. Blot the area and soak up as much as possible with a paper towel or white cotton towel on both sides of the area rug.
- Let the area dry (use a fan to speed up the drying process)
- If the stain or odor remains, seek professional help immediately.
Qualified carpet cleaners will use stronger solvents and detergents to remove the stain. Because urine can be a difficult stain to completely remove, it could require repeated treatment over a week or two in order to give the rug time to dry before repeating the treatment.
There are two notes of caution, however. Do not use this method on carpet unless you can get to both sides of the carpet. If you can’t get to both the top and bottom, saturating the carpet and carpet pad with the water and vinegar solution can cause other problems since the liquid can run underneath the carpet. You will need to be able to extract the liquid and not just blot it.
Also, be sure to test your rug for colorfastness and reaction to the vinegar treatment before going all out in treating the stain.
Need Your Rug Cleaned? Time To Replace The Padding?
How About Free Pickup and Delivery Within Our Service Area?
Call Matt at 205.588.4121 for more information.
(C) 2010 - 2013 Champion Cleaners. All Rights Reserved